Making an outdoor washbasin for a summer residence: simple (and not so) options
City dwellers get so used to the benefits of civilization that they try to create comfortable conditions even in their suburban areas. A street washbasin for a summer residence is one of these: a minimum set of amenities on the site is simply necessary, because you have to wash your hands quite often. A washbasin equipped near the house and beautifully designed will undoubtedly add comfort to living and will complement the design of the site.
What washbasin designs are there?
There are several types of washbasins: with and without pedestals, hanging containers and rack-mounted structures.
The simplest washbasin model is a three to four liter container made of plastic or aluminum, with a lid and a pressure spout.
The back wall of the washbasin in the picture above is equipped with a special mount, for which you can hang the container on a nail driven into a wooden vertical rack. Water is poured into the tank, covered with a lid and a bucket is placed under it to collect the used water. Water is added to it as it is used. The top wall of the washbasin lid has a slightly concave grooved surface, making it suitable for use as a soap dish.
Hanging washbasins with a pressure tap equipped with a magnet that locks it up when it is lifted represent a more advanced version of the simpler model
Some models are equipped with a valve, thanks to which it is also convenient to regulate the water flow. A rectangular fifteen-liter plastic container is installed on a cabinet with a sink, under which a bucket is placed to collect water.
Often you can find on sale and washbasins on the counter. Portable washbasins with legs can be placed anywhere on the site
Due to the presence of special horns on the struts of the structure, the washbasin is firmly installed on the ground in the garden or vegetable garden, slightly deepening it.
The washbasin is convenient, first of all, because the structure sink can be used as a container for washing fruits, vegetables and dishes. Some models have towel hooks, soap rack and even small mirrors. Washbasins made of plastic or metal are designed for outdoor installation. Wooden washbasins equipped with a water heating system are more suitable for indoor furnishing.
Washbasins with a cabinet are stationary structures, the main elements of which are: a filling cistern, a sink and a cabinet-stand
The simplest washbasin made of plastic bottles
You can provide yourself with a minimum set of amenities and make the simplest version of a washbasin from a plastic bottle.
It is best to use a 2-5 liter bottle as a container. Due to the transparency of the plastic, it is convenient to control the volume of water in the container
The first step is to cut off the bottom of the plastic bottle. Fasten the bottle itself to a post, vine arch or any post using clamps or wire.
The bottle cap can simply be left in its original form, or you can upgrade it by performing several punctures in it or adding a pressure spout made of a screw or nail
The washbasin is ready: all that remains is to fill the container, slightly open the lid and use it for its intended purpose. You can watch a video with an example of making a similar version:
Another original device:
A convenient portable washbasin with a tap can also be built from a five-liter plastic canister, barrel or can. For the manufacture of a functional device, you will also need plumbing accessories:
- tap for water supply;
- clamping nuts;
- two gaskets.
In the selected container, you need to drill or cut a hole of the required diameter.
The squeegee is installed in the opening of the container, gaskets are put on it on both sides and clamped with nuts. It remains only to attach a tap to the squeegee and pour water into the container
When equipping the washbasin, it is advisable to provide for a drainage system that leads the waste water into a cesspool. In the absence of the opportunity to equip a drainage system, you can simply use a container to collect dirty water.
It is possible to place the washbasin above the ground covered with a layer of gravel, which will act as drainage and prevent the formation of dirt near the washbasin.
Wooden sink on your own
For the manufacture of a more complex stationary structure, which will be not only functional, but also a decorative element of the site, boards of 25x150 mm will be needed. The dimensions of the structure depend on the dimensions of the water tank and the preferences of the owners.
In vertical blanks, eyelets are made for arranging spikes. To do this, using a milling cutter, grooves are cut with a depth of 20 mm and a width of 8 mm. At the ends of the horizontal blanks, spikes are cut out with the help of a circular
All washbasin blanks are assembled into a one-piece structure and connected using self-tapping screws.
On the inner sides of the lower part of the structure, a base is prepared where the plywood sheets will be installed. Sheets can be glued or fixed with small nails
A tank is placed between the side walls of the upper part of the structure. The washbasin floor is laid out from 20x45 mm slats. The walls of the upper part are fixed with self-tapping screws, so that if the tank leaks, it can always be removed. The principle of manufacturing the door of the structure is quite simple: a sheet of plywood is glued to the frame, the strips of which are interconnected by means of a thorn-groove. A lock with a handle is installed on the door frame.
The washbasin is ready. All that remains is to carefully grind the product, paint, and then install the sink.
That's all for today. If you have any questions, please write in the comments.
Rate the article:
(15 votes, average: 3.4 out of 5)
Share with your friends!
Over the weekend, I slightly improved the old country sink.
Materials and tools
- Beam 20x20 mm
- Soft tiles
- Metal corners
- Screwdriver Status
- Jigsaw Bosch
For many years in the country there was a crooked plastic pipe with a washbasin sticking out. Hands did not reach in any way to refine this washstand. But on one of the summer Saturday evenings he made up his mind.
I decided not to pull out the old pipe, but to make a simple frame directly onto it. An extra point of support will not interfere even with such a structure.
I made a frame from a bar and sheathed it with the remains of a lining.
I made a small roof from the remains of soft tiles, under which it is convenient to store soap. I fixed it on a baluster, which I sawed into two parts.
The lower part is also sheathed with tiles - it will be an additional protection against splashes and moisture. I hung lanterns on the sides, which added coziness to this work.
I installed an old sink and made a drainage into the ground by burying a plastic pipe with holes 1 m.
Standard suburban affairs do not allow to complete the design in full. You will need to trim the bottom under the sink and lay out the tiles in front of the sink. Hopefully, hands will soon reach this)).
The most popular and demanded garden sinks
The modern construction and gardening industry does not stand still, studies the demand for a particular product and quickly launches it into production, realizing that the aesthetic and practical aspects of the products produced must be on the same level. Today it is not at all difficult to purchase and install a garden sink for a summer residence. But how to decide on the model and manufacturer, to navigate the price?
We offer you a short comparative analysis washbasins for summer cottages presented on the market. And you determine the most acceptable option for yourself, study the prices of your region, buy the chosen washstand, install it on the site or in the country house and enjoy the result of the work done.
As a rule, all models are a structure with a filling tank fixed in the upper part, with a capacity of 12 to 30 liters and a sink. Fierce competition forces manufacturers to focus their products on different segments of the population and scope. The more additional accessories and functions a washbasin has, the more expensive its total cost.
On sale you can find very simple models, consisting of a light metal frame holding a plastic sink with a water tank, the price of such washbasins ranges from 700 to 800 rubles. Such a washstand is installed, as a rule, on the street. But even such a seemingly simple model can be equipped with an electric heater. The cost of a heated washbasin will increase to 1300-1400 rubles.
Washbasins with a vanity look more attractive... Their cost will depend on many criteria. The sink can be made of plastic or stainless steel, the decorative cabinet is all of the same plastic or laminated chipboard of various colors and imitation of various textures (wood, stone, etc.), as well as of painted metal, protected from corrosion.
The presence of an EVN (electric water heater) makes life much easier in the country... It is nice to wash your hands after working in the garden or the dishes after lunch with warm water, especially in the spring and autumn, when the sun cannot or can no longer heat the water in the tank to a comfortable temperature. Many models of water heaters have water heating control and maintenance of the set temperature, provide water heating up to 60-75 degrees.
The cost of such washstands ranges from 1,300 to 7,000 rubles and more. They are installed both on the street and in a country house in the kitchen. On the market you can find offers from both foreign and Russian manufacturers (Sadko, Moidodyr, Vodoley, Elterm, etc.).
Country sink for the washbasin: we assemble the simplest structure to maintain personal hygiene
A do-it-yourself sink in the country can be made quite quickly and without the use of expensive materials and complex technologies. In our article, we will provide several examples of such designs, so that you can choose the option that suits you best.
To have a place to wash your hands, you can make such a stylish design.
Washbasins for the suburban area
Products from scrap materials
So that at the summer cottage it was possible to wash your hands before eating or to wash off the dust from your face, it is worth equipping at least the simplest washbasin. And here we have a choice of a wide variety of designs, which differ in both cost and complexity of manufacture.
The easiest way is to use those items that are always at hand:
- An elementary washstand is made from a plastic bottle. We fix the container on a tree or the wall of a country house, cut off the bottom for quick filling with water. Then we slightly unscrew the cover located at the bottom and use a thin stream of water for the intended purpose.
Washbasin from a plastic bottle and syringe
- To simplify the washing process, an elementary pressure valve can be built into the lid. To do this, we make a small hole in the plastic through which we pass the nail. We fix the structure from the inside with a nut with a rubber sealing gasket. By pushing down on the head of the nail from the bottom, we lift the gasket, revealing the hole for the water.
- Other containers can be used instead of a plastic bottle. Both small polymer cans and metal cans with a volume of up to 5 - 8 liters are suitable.
Note! It is not worth making a larger washstand - it may not withstand the support. And such a volume of water will take much longer to warm up in the sun.
Separately, it is necessary to equip the place of discharge. If a simple plastic bottle is used, the water can be poured directly onto the ground.
But for large containers, it is better to either install a special pallet or dig a small hole. We put drainage at the bottom of the pit, and close it with a lattice on top.
Standard portable washbasin
However, if you spend a lot of time on the site, then instead of improvised washbasins, it is advisable to equip a capital structure.
It includes the following details:
- A frame made of wood or metal, on which all the elements are placed.
- A container for water, fixed at the top of the frame. A conventional or pressure tap is usually built into the container, and the pressure is provided due to the height of the water column.
Advice! To ensure sufficient head even with partial filling of the tank, many people connect the simplest pumps (hand and foot) to the tank. Naturally, the structure in this case should be as tight as possible.
Pump hose attachment assembly
- Sink, which is installed on the guides of the frame. If you do not know what to make from an old sink in the country, then this is just the best option for using the part - do not throw it away!
- A drain, which can either go into the sewer (cesspool, septic tank), or open into a container located at the bottom of the structure. The second option is preferable for portable structures, but less practical.
How you can make a similar sink with a curbstone for a suburban area, we will tell you in the next section.
Photos of industrial products with built-in heaters
Before we get started, we need to purchase some materials. In principle, you can use what is at hand, but it is still better to make a high-quality washstand once that can last for several decades.
- Elements for the frame - beams with a section of 30x30 mm or shaped pipes 20x20 mm.
Note! The metal frame is more durable, but it is more difficult to assemble (requires the use of a welding machine), and it will be more difficult to attach the skin and structural parts to it.
- Sheathing materials - board or plastic panels.
- Plastic or metal container for water.
- Tap (push or standard).
- The sink itself (metal or plastic, shallow, with a bottom drain).
- Set of drain fittings (siphon, overflow and pipes).
A fragment of the countertop can also be used - then the washstand will look much more attractive.
As for the tools, their set is close to the standard one:
- Saw for wood or metal, depending on what we will be assembling the suburban frame of the cabinet with the sink.
- Welding machine (if a profile pipe is used)
- Cordless screwdriver.
- Hand tools for carpentry operations - hammers, pliers, files.
- Adjustable pipe wrench.
When everything is ready, you can proceed with the installation.
At the first stage, we need to make the frame of the product with our own hands.
Here we will describe the method of erecting a wooden structure: there will be few steel differences, and they will consist mainly in the method of joining parts.
- From the timber we cut out four blanks with a height of about 170 cm, and two more - 80 - 90 cm each.
- We assemble the frame from the parts, connecting the vertical parts with horizontal elements.
- In the high part of the frame, we install transverse beams on which the water tank will rest.
- We lay the tabletop on horizontal logs.For the time being, it is possible not to fix it, since soon we will be integrating a sink into it.
- The frame is thoroughly impregnated with a moisture-proof compound with antiseptic components. This is done in order to protect the wood from rotting in case of inevitable contact with moisture.
Note! If you plan to make a stationary outdoor washbasin, then the supports can be buried in the ground by about 30-50 cm. In this case, we wrap the lower parts of the frame with roofing material, otherwise they will rot in just a few years.
Using the basin as a sink
The installation instructions for the sink itself are not complicated:
- Ideally, we just need to lay the product on wooden guides and fix it from the inside with special brackets.
- If we make a cut-in sink, then we apply a template from the seamy side of the countertop and apply markings on it.
- We drill several holes according to the marking, which we then connect using a jigsaw.
Sink fixed to the frame
- Next, we install the sink in the resulting nest, sealing the joint with either sanitary silicone or a special butyl tape.
- We fix the sink from below with steel clips.
The tank into which we will pour water is also very important.
For its manufacture, it is advisable to choose a plastic container of a suitable volume:
- Flat canisters are not very suitable for this purpose, since they do not provide sufficient water pressure. The low height of the water column will result in a very thin trickle from the tap.
- It is much better to take a product stretched up: even when it is a quarter full, water will flow into the tap under sufficient pressure.
Advice! So that the liquid does not stagnate, it is better to install the tank not evenly, but with a slight slope towards the tap.
- We place the structure in the upper part of the frame, and the higher the better.
- We cut a crane into the bottom or into the lower part of the side wall, and carefully seal the place of the cut-in.
It is also worth thinking about the placement of the tap: the spout should be chosen in such a way that, at any turn, the stream falls exactly into the sink.
In principle, the assembly of the washbasin can be considered complete at this point. All that remains for us is to fix the cladding on the supporting parts of the frame, and also attach the doors to the lower part. Through these doors we get access to the drain unit, which also needs to be properly mounted.
Arrangement of drain
Small amounts of water can be drained directly onto the ground
The simplest drainage of water from the sink in the country is done according to the following scheme:
- We install a debris mesh into the sink itself, and from below we attach a drain pipe about 10 cm long.
- Place a plastic or metal container with a wide neck under the pipe. The volume of the container can be very different, but it is desirable that it be at least equal to the volume of the water tank.
- As it is filled, the container is removed and emptied into a cesspool or septic tank.
However, this option is suitable for portable models.
How to make a drain from a sink in the country, which is constantly used in one place - we will tell below:
- First, we install a sink siphon, which is connected to the drain using a pipe.
Sewer pipes for a cesspool
- The siphon outlet pipe is connected to a sewer pipe laid in a trench and connecting the installation site of the sink with a septic tank or cesspool.
- If this is not possible, then right under the washstand we dig a hole up to a meter deep, fill it with drainage by a third and equip a dense overlap. To drain the water, we use a wide pipe, which we mount in the roof of the pit.
In principle, the drain can have a very different design, but when designing it, it is necessary to avoid as much as possible the ingress of contaminated water onto the soil or into the opening of sources (ponds, wells, natural reservoirs).
If you need a sink on the street in the country - with your own hands according to the given algorithm, you can build it pretty quickly. Subject to proper design and high-quality manufacturing, such structures are very convenient to use, so that for at least several years the issue of maintaining personal hygiene in a country house will be closed for you.
You can learn more about the options for building country sinks in the video in this article.
A stainless steel sink is one of the most popular types of sanitary ware for kitchens. Due to its low cost and excellent performance, a stainless steel sink has become very popular both in our country and abroad.
We will tell you about the main features and characteristics of these devices, and also consider how overhead stainless steel kitchen sinks are installed.
A stainless steel sink for the kitchen is an excellent choice.
Features and Benefits
Features of stainless steel plumbing
A neat and stylish design is the hallmark of metal sinks.
A stainless steel kitchen sink has a number of features that are inherent in all appliances made of this material.
For the production of this class of products, a special material is used - chromium martensitic stainless steel, which has high corrosion resistance to most mildly corrosive environments with sufficiently high mechanical properties.
An alloy of chromium with iron gives a durable and corrosion resistant material.
If we translate the above into a language that is understandable to a wide range of readers, then we can say that this steel has the following characteristics:
- High resistance to corrosion under conditions of prolonged contact with water, salt solutions, weak solutions of various acids, atmospheric oxygen, household chemicals, food waste, etc.
- The material is produced by an alloy of iron with chromium and a complex of various additives, resulting in a strong and resilient metal. This allows the production of thin-walled, lightweight products that are able to withstand significant mechanical loads: shock, pressure, bending forces, etc.
- A significant chromium content (from 13% and above) allows you to obtain beautiful shiny or matte surfaces that look great in interiors of various styles
- Even continuous contact with water and aggressive solutions for a long time does not lead to corrosive processes and material damage. Thanks to this, stainless steel products have a long service life while maintaining their original appearance.
Important! The only weak point of stainless steel is the fear of abrasive effects: as a result, scratches occur and shine disappears. Therefore, before cleaning a stainless steel sink, make sure that the product does not contain abrasive particles.
Liquid and gel detergents are the best way to clean your stainless steel sink.
The most applicable and relevant properties of stainless steel turned out to be in the kitchen. The kitchen sink differs in that it is used to wash dishes, which means that it is exposed to constant exposure to household chemicals, food waste, as well as quite noticeable mechanical wear.
Advantages and disadvantages
The sink can be installed on a separate cabinet or embedded in the worktop.
Steel sinks are most widely used as kitchen sanitary ware. This is due to the properties of the material from which they are made, and the peculiarities of operation in the kitchen.
Due to the combination of physical and operational characteristics that we have listed, products have a number of advantages:
- No corrosion in contact with cold and hot water, detergents, food residues, salt and acid solutions
- The ability to maintain its original beauty and shine for a long time. Products are not covered with oxide films, stains, do not darken and do not change color for a long time. With proper care, a steel sink can last for decades
- Microorganisms, bacteria, fungal and mold formations do not multiply or linger on the surface of the devices
- The high strength of steel allows you not to be afraid of chips, potholes and other mechanical damage, which are typical for ceramics or stone
- The bowl has thin walls - 0.7 - 5 mm, which makes it very light and easy to install
- DIY installation is relatively simple and does not require special knowledge and skills.
- The price of products is one of the lowest among kitchen sanitary ware.
As you can see in the photo, the products go well with stone countertops.
Important! Steel plumbing is suitable for both low-income buyers and connoisseurs of stylish and high-quality appliances.
Of course, there are also disadvantages.
There are not so many of them, however, before buying, you need to consider the following points:
- When washing dishes, the bowl makes a loud noise when water falls on its surface, as well as when it comes into contact with metal and ceramic dishes
- Over time, the surface is inevitably covered with barely noticeable scratches. They do not particularly spoil the appearance of the product, but they are still visible. Fingerprints, grease stains and salt deposits from drying water also remain on the glossy cups.
- The range of colors is limited to shades of silver, matte or shiny. There are painted models, but they are much more expensive and not as durable.
Before cleaning your stainless steel sink, rinse off any debris.
The question often arises: "How to clean a stainless steel sink so as not to damage or scratch its surface?" Everything is simple here: before you wash a stainless steel sink, you should make sure that there are no grains of sand and other solid particles on its surface.
It is also important to use the correct detergents - liquid solutions and gels without abrasive impurities.
Cheaper stainless steel sinks are top mounted.
Models and sizes of stainless steel sinks are presented in a very wide range, so you can easily choose the type that suits your interior.
For self-installation, the overhead type is best suited, the installation instructions for which are presented below:
- Turn the sink upside down and place it on the back of the countertop. We outline it with a pencil. Then we retreat into the contour a distance equal to the width of the side of the bowl and draw a cut line
We circle the bowl, retreat to the width of the rim, draw a cutting line.
- We drill a hole so that the cutting line runs tangentially to it, and the hole itself is inside the contour. We insert the jigsaw saw into the hole and cut a hole in the tabletop. We process the cut with sandpaper and coat with silicone
We install a drain, a siphon and a mixer.
- According to the instructions for the product, we install the fasteners on the rim of the bowl. We treat the lower part of the side with silicone sealant or mount a rubber seal
We process the junction with silicone.
- We connect the flexible hoses of the mixer to the water supply system, fasten the siphon and connect it with a corrugation to the sewer hole.
Important! It is better to coat the rubber seals on the hoses with a special plumbing paste, and seal the threaded connections with tow or FUM tape.
Stainless steel sinks have proven themselves well in the kitchen, therefore they have become very popular and in demand. They are durable, beautiful, easy to install and relatively cheap.
The video in this article will help you better understand the installation rules.
Do-it-yourself street washbasin for a summer residence: the best master classes
Country homemade products
Homemade products for a summer residence, a garden and a vegetable garden
Homemade products for summer cottages are perhaps one of the most popular homemade products, especially in the spring and summer period. It is very pleasant to periodically update this section with information. the owners of dachas, country houses, cottages, houses, vegetable gardens, orchards are the most hardworking people with golden hands, who love to create homemade products with their own hands, run a household, take care of the land, plants and trees. We hope you will appreciate the section "Homemade products for summer cottages and gardens". Each article is the most faithful guide-guide for you, supplied with high-quality photos, ideas, step-by-step instructions, tips, examples. Do not forget to also look into the subsection "Garden and vegetable garden, dacha" of the main section "Books and magazines".